Saturday, November 22, 2008

Here's one way to hold myself accountable...

...make a list of personal goals public.

In my very limited exposure to blogging, I've found it's much easier (read: less nerve-wracking) to post cute Brayden comments rather than thoughtful reflections.

I (try to) make my living as a writer but I'm still not used to sharing too many personal details -- even if, realistically, the only people visiting this site are close friends and family members. I instinctively shy away from allowing myself to become "the story," and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with having a personal (ha) online journal.

That said, I want to keep experimenting a bit. The past year involved many attempts to rediscover a sense of self. I made progress, but I'm not there yet. I hope this helps.

Twenty-nine goals for 2009 (and the 12 months leading up to my 29th year): *

1. Show the people I love how much they mean to me

2. Craft a new budget to accommodate student loan payments (*heart* grad school)

3. Have friends over for dinner!

4. Run Army 10M in October

5. Take a weekend trip with mom and Amanda & get Shawn to come and stay here for a few days

6. Sign up for a class (fiction writing/foreign language/photography, etc.)

7. Go hiking at Great Falls

8. Send a check to mom and shawn (*heart* unemployment)

9. Have a great (*fun*) date(s!)

10. Bring Zoey home

11. Look into finding a dog (LATE 2009)

12. Look into a new computer and camera (summer 2009)

13. Start a savings plan for overseas trip with Karen (2010?)

14. Stick with workout routine

15. Write a freelance magazine story (and pitch it!)

16. Play catch on the mall (reclaim something you love)

*I'll try to add the rest before the new year...

Note: "Finding a job" did not make the list. Why? Optimism.

No comments: